Cullen Property Blog

Reduce the risk of fire this October

We can all agree the weather is getting colder so it can be tempting to give that big night out a miss. Instead, you might decide to cook a homemade dinner, bring out the electric blanket, light a few candles and stick on a film. Sounds like a great night in doesn’t it? However, a careless mistake with any of these items could end in tragedy. Fear not though, as with these top tips you can stay safe from fire this winter.

Always look after your cooking

You might think it’s harmless to leave the kitchen for a quick phone call, or go back to watching five minutes more of that Netflix show you can’t get enough of, but leaving food cooking unattended can lead to disaster. Did you know almost half of fires in the home are caused by cooking accidents? Make sure you’re keeping an eye on your food at all times. One major cause of fire is frying with oil. If a fire breaks out due to oil, DO NOT try to extinguish it with water as this will only fuel the flames. Instead, cover the pan with a lid and turn off the heat. If the fire still hasn’t gone out then leave the property and call 999.

Take it easy on your plug sockets

With the many gadgets and appliances we have these days it can be easy to overload our plug sockets. However, sockets and extension cables can only take so much strain. Remove plugs when you aren’t using them to reduce the risk of a fire starting. Also, take extra care with powerful appliances such as hair dryers and straighteners, particularly when using sockets with other products like TVs, games consoles and portable heaters. And, double check your straighteners are turned off and the plug removed before leaving the flat!

Think about your surroundings

They might look good and smell lovely, but candles are a huge hazard in the home. Make sure you keep them away from flammable objects such as curtains and electronics.

Also, make sure you shut off portable heaters and electric blankets when you aren’t using them. Portable heaters, in particular, can cause fires easily. You might think hanging a pair of jeans over it to dry is a good idea. However, they aren’t designed to dry clothes and this can be extremely dangerous.

At Cullen Property we discourage use of candles, portable heaters and electric blankets. On average, two fires a day are started by candles and two fires a day are started by portable heaters. However, if you are going to use them, make sure you’re mindful of your surroundings and never leave them unattended!

If you have an questions regarding the fire safety of your property please contact us at or call us on 0131 221 1818